Skip to content

Funding and Programs

Disability Programs and Funding

We believe that quality home health aid products and mobility equipment should be accessible to everyone. 

Mobility products purchased through us may be eligible for up to 75% government disability funding through Ontario’s Assistive Devices (ADP) program. While the majority of our products will ultimately be purchased through the help of ADP, it can take some time for funding to come through. In those cases, rental equipment may be offered while you wait for ADP approval.

To determine whether you qualify for ADP funding, an ADP-authorized Occupational Therapist is required to complete a seating and mobility assessment. The therapist will request an equipment trial to determine the proper equipment sizing and seating components that will best meet your needs. This is done at our private on-site assessment rooms. Alternatively, you and your Therapist can meet at a location that is most convenient for everyone.

Once the assessment process is complete, you may elect to order your new equipment or rent a suitable piece until funding is confirmed. Some of your rental fees may be applied to the purchase price.

Learn More

We’re Here to Help

If you require more assistance, would like a demonstration, or have questions, our friendly and experienced staff are always more than happy to answer your questions.

Call us, visit our store or contact us online. We’re here to help.

We can help you apply

If you qualify for subsidiary funding, Conval-Aid can invoice the appropriate reimbursement source directly. These sources include:

  1. Veterans Affairs (DVA);
  2. Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB);
  3. Ontario Disability Support Program;
  4. Canadian Mortgage & Housing Corporation (CMHC);
  5. Social Services;
  6. Ontario Assistive Devices Program.

Give us a call at 613-738-2721 for more information. We’ll be happy to help you with any questions you may have in regards to disability programs and funding.

Funding FAQs

How do I find out what funding agencies are available to the disabled?

Depending on your needs, Conval-Aid can provide you with the names of various funding agencies. In some cases Conval-Aid can invoice these sources directly if you are eligible. Please note that you are responsible for preparing and submitting your own funding application. Some funding agencies are:

  • Easter Seals Program
  • MS SocietyMuscular Dystrophy Association
  • March of Dimes
  • March of Dimes Home/ Vehicle Modification Program
  • CMHC
  • Canadian Paraplegic Association
  • Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities
  • Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Essential Health and Social Service
  • Ontario Assistive Devices Program

What is the Ontario Assistive Devices Program (ADP)?

The ADP is an Ontario Ministry of Health funding program that partially covers the cost of mobility aids for those who qualify.

I am a veteran. How do I get answers to my funding questions?

If you are a veteran registered with DVA, the item you are interested in may be funded. If we can’t answer your question, we can direct you to the proper department.

What funding options are available to members of the First Nations or Inuit communities for purchasing health care equipment?

Your Non-Insured Health benefits will cover equipment if you qualify.

Can I claim my Conval-Aid purchase on my health insurance?

All insurance policies are different; however, many items may be covered. Check with your insurance company for information on your policy.

Will my insurance cover the cost of a new foam mattress or hospital bed?

Most insurance policies currently cover much of the cost of a new foam mattress, providing you haven’t claimed one in the past five years, and subject to their eligibility criteria. Hospital bed costs are typically covered once in a lifetime by most health insurance policies. Please refer to your insurer for specific details on your policy.

Are you an ADP authorized dealer?

Yes. We invoice ADP directly for their portion when applicable.

I have private insurance for mobility devices. Do I still need to access ADP?

Yes. In most cases your insurer will ask you to ‘exhaust any sources of provincial funding’ before they reimburse. Most insurance companies will pay a portion of the remaining cost.

How do I find out if I am eligible for the Ontario Assistive Devices Program (ADP)?

Eligibility is not based on family income. The requirements are based strictly on the client’s long-term need for the equipment. An ADP registered authorizer can give you more information.

If I am eligible for ADP, how do I initiate the process for my wheelchair or walker purchase?

You must be assessed by an ADP authorized Occupational or Physio therapist.

How do I find an authorized occupational therapist?

Conval-Aid can provide you with a list of private therapists, or you can call ADP directly for a list of all authorizers in the region. You can also phone the CCAC to see if you might be eligible for their program.

What if I am receiving social assistance? Am I still eligible for ADP?

Yes. ADP is based on need.

How often will ADP pay for new equipment?

When your equipment is worn out or your physical condition changes, ADP will help fund new items. Check with your authorizer for more details.

Is there ADP funding for ostomy supplies and equipment?

Yes. If you require ostomy supplies on a permanent basis, the Assistive Devices Program may assist.